English Players Online: 100+
Forums Home News vote beta
Sign in to follow this  
Jazzy

Food for Thought

Hey guys. I want to see what each of you thinks to this question.

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

This question is deceptively simple; so do take a few moments to process the question!

(There is no right answer)

-Jazzy

I would say no. Sound only becomes sound once a living creature, who has the ability to perceive the resonance of the air pressure waves, interacts in some way with those air waves. So if no creature is around the falling tree then technically no sounds is produced. If a planet of completely deaf beings existed then sound would never exist to them. In the vacuums of space where there is no air there is no sound. At least, i guess, if any creature who listens through vibrations of solid mass like the ground shaking then maybe someone/something would hear it. But if no humans are around then def no, no sound is produced. 

11 hours ago, Keyadis said:

I would say no. Sound only becomes sound once a living creature, who has the ability to perceive the resonance of the air pressure waves, interacts in some way with those air waves. So if no creature is around the falling tree then technically no sounds is produced. If a planet of completely deaf beings existed then sound would never exist to them. In the vacuums of space where there is no air there is no sound. At least, i guess, if any creature who listens through vibrations of solid mass like the ground shaking then maybe someone/something would hear it. But if no humans are around then def no, no sound is produced. 

That's a very solid answer! My thoughts were along the same line; if there isn't anything in the area with the ability to absorb the vibrations through the air (sound), there wouldn't be any sound.

Great thinking

It depends on your idea of sound, regardless if nothing is there it will still make a sound, much like the way giraffes communicate, giraffes can still hear each other even though we cannot. So I'd say if your question is will a person hear it, then no unless the person is in range. But I would say something will definitely hear it depending on if the species is intelligent :)

Just my two cents 

-Qiffy

• Like 1

The Classic George Berkely inspired philosophical question

Scientifically yes, sound is just vibrations coming from an object moving in a certain way, so yes.

However, people would argue that it's not just about if it makes the vibrations, but someone has to be there to perceive the sound. 

Basically it comes down to what philosophical school of thought you subscribe to. As a subscriber of lower tier Nihilism, I believe we don't matter enough to feel like a trees sound is solely based off if a human or other creature hears it. Space always makes sound, no one is there to listen to it. Someone who believes that something has to perceive the sound for it to exist, has a self centered school of thought.

That's just my interpretation, and even if you have a self centered school of thought, that's perfectly fine :D I'm not saying that's wrong, I just don't personally subscribe to that kind of thinking! Everyone perceives the world differently so take everything I say with a grain of salt :)